Wednesday, August 18, 2010


Heidi from Burdastyle
you know when you're behind on a bunch of pictures and you just run out of steam and inspiration? yeah this was one of those times.

Pattern: Heidi from burdastyle
Fabric: red and white polka dot cotton from, 3yds-ish
Size: 36 in the bodice, 38 in the skirt
Mods: shortened both bodice and skirt

my dress isn't lined. i used turquoise bias tape for the neckline and armhole edges. i also did french seams, which was not the greatest idea. it looks pretty on the inside but the cotton was too heavy and this is where i really learned that the horizon doesn't like thick seams, at least with the regular foot. i used the blind-hem foot for the hem, but i didn't love the results. it might just be my lack of technique but there's a visible seamline and it doesn't look as nice as it could. i might have to stick with hemming by hand after all.

my favorite part of the dress is the pockets. it's really fairly easy to put together, but all the french seams slowed me down (my own fault, of course). i was surprised that the dress is a little big. most burda patterns fit like a glove if you follow their measurement charts. i saw that others on patternreview had the same results, so maybe this one just has more built-in ease. or maybe it would've fit better had i made the lining--who knows. i can't say that i like it enough to want to make it again, but maybe someday in a more flowy fabric with the lining.


  1. I don't know, I'm wearing my Burda J blouse today and if I made the size that corresponded with my measurements, ummmm...yeah I'd be swimming in it. I had to take in the side seams a good 1.5 inches on both sides!

    That's a cute dress though. I'll have to put that on my list.

  2. Cute dress! Love the pockets!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...