Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Herringbone Diamonds

A post shared by Sara (@knottygnome) on

This is by far the largest quilt I have ever completed. I haven't measured it post-washing, but pre-washing it was 96" square and it weighs about 8 pounds. I was inspired by the quilt as you go herringbone diamonds from Maureen Cracknell's craftsy class. I wanted to construct my quilt differently than her method so I used narrow joining strips based on the craftsy class by Marti Michell.

Each block was pieced as you go with 2.5" strips. The blocks are 8" x 16". I had 2 full shoeboxes when I started of 2.5" strips that were from various jelly rolls and cut from the leftovers of my bag sewing. I now have just one full box, so I used up quite a bit of fabric for the top. The back is made of blue and green stash fabrics. I also used most of the remainder of my blue essex linen for the front strips. I still have a bunch of the white back strip fabric, which is an undyed organic cotton.

The batting is Quilter's Dream Green. It was my first time using poly batting in a large quilt. The fabric did not crinkle much at all after washing, so that's a little disappointing as I'm a big fan of the vintage-y crinkle. But on the other hand the poly batting weighs less than cotton. I can't imagine how heavy this quilt would be if I had used cotton batting. I chose this batting because I had a twin-sized package in my stash that had been there forever. I ended up having to buy a throw-size to finish all of the blocks and I used about 1/3 of it. One weird thing is that my older package was much darker green than the new one. I'm not sure if it changes color over time or if their formula has changed. YMMV.

I won't lie--this project got really boring after awhile. There are 72 blocks and you keep repeating the same steps over and over again so it gets kind of dull. then the joining step is easy but also repetitive. that last long seam when I joined the 2 halves of the quilt together was pretty difficult because of the weight. I would use this technique of joining blocks again, but I would probably save it for larger blocks that don't need as many joins, and maybe also for a smaller quilt that is not as heavy. Everything is a trade-off. I got tired of the joining method, but there's very little chance I'd have been able to complete a quilt of this size using the normal method of basting/quilting. Honestly if I ever get the desire to make another large bed quilt, I might just send it off to a long-armer.

The quilt is definitely imperfect. The angled piecing led to bias edges, which made it hard to keep the blocks square. and the longer the project dragged on, the less I cared about it being perfect. and i won't even mention how wonky the binding is. but i now have a spring/summer quilt that is large enough to fit on my bed. and so i'm happy.

This post uses referral/affiliate links. I may receive a small credit or commission if you make a purchase using the links.

2 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely, and I'm now considering getting over dragging my heels learning how to QAYG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! it's definitely worth trying at least once. there are several different methods and i'm learning that they are good for different kinds of projects.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...