I've decided to do monthly posts to track my projects and stash accumulation. I have kept a personal spreadsheet in previous years but I haven't done a very consistent job of publishing my progress (or lack thereof). I've made a few changes from the way that I calculated my in/out stash in previous years.
- Mainly, in previous years I counted full skeins used as stash out because I was too lazy to weigh my finished objects and calculate the actual yardage used. I decided to stop that practice because it does not give a very accurate count of how much yarn I actually use in a year.
- Due to this change, I am now also weighing my active blanket projects at the end of the month and counting that yardage as stash out because blankets will very likely take me multiple years to finish and without including that yardage the full in/out picture will be inaccurate.
- Also related to the first item, in previous years I did not get to count yardage of projects that used leftovers (because they were already theoretically counted as stash out from the original project). I found that this just made me less likely to use my leftovers and they piled up while I cast on new skeins. Now every project I finish will be weighed and calculated regardless of where the yarn came from.
- One thing that I am carrying over from previous years is that with the exception of blanket projects, I don't get to count WIPs in yardage out, just finished objects.
- Regarding adding stash, as usual finished handspun that I'm keeping has to be included as stash in. However, handspun that will be added to the shop does not count.
January (and Year-to-Date) Stash Totals
Project Yardage: +4668 yds
Incoming Stash Yardage: -2174 yds
Difference: +2494 yds
Project Weight: +1401 g
Incoming Stash Weight: -838 g
Difference: +563 g / +1.24 lbs
Notes: I did not buy any yarn until the last day of the month, but since I do not have it in my possession the skein won't count until it arrives. The incoming yarn for January is handspun, yarn support for a design, the remaining leftovers from a frogged sweater, and my Hedgehog Fibres club (paid for in 2016). Also, the project totals for January will be slightly inaccurate because both blanket projects were technically started in December. However, they did not get weighed and counted in 2016 due to the way I tracked my yardage. This one month will make up the difference and the totals will be accurate moving forward.
Handspun Weight: +13oz
Incoming Fiber Stash Weight:-4oz
Difference: +9oz / +.56 lbs
January (and Year-to-Date) Project Totals
7 finished objects
- 3 pairs of socks
- 2 hats
- 1 cowl
- 1 hand accessory
For me: 3
For others: 4
2 skeins of handspun
Total handspun yardage: 531 yds
Active WIPs: 1 pair of socks, 1 cardigan, 2 blankets, 1 handspun project
Abandoned 2017 WIPs: 0