I'm dusting off the ol' blog to talk a little bit about my goals for 2017. I have several things I'd like to accomplish, both crafty and life-related. Since I don't really have time to talk about my goals on the podcast since I'm only posting one episode a month, I will talk about them here and revisit the subject periodically.
- Do what I feel like doing: I'm listing this #1 because it's probably the most important. It also perhaps contradicts many of the following goals. I have things I'd like to accomplish but I'm keeping in mind that this is supposed to be fun. I shouldn't let myself be bound by artificial constraints. I want the freedom to work on what I want to work on.
- Make at least one project per month for the Kindnessalong: I talked a little bit about it during my post-election podcast, but I've been thinking a lot about being kinder to others and just generally trying to be a better person. I'd like to express some of that through doing what I love (making things) and giving to others.
- Knit 26 pairs of socks: Last year I knit 36 pairs. I'm not under any illusion that I can repeat that feat, but I think a finished pair every 2 weeks is an attainable goal for me. I recently counted up all my sock yarn stash and I have enough sock yarn (not including fingering weight skeins reserved for shawls/sweaters) to last me for a very long time. If I knit 26 pairs of socks through 2020 and not stash any more sock yarn, I'll be completely through the stash in just five years. (ha!)
- Knit 12 Personal Sock Club socks: I have all of my skeins bagged and my first pair is finished. I tried to do this in 2015 and it was a huge fail, but this time I've chosen 12 yarns that I absolutely love and am excited to knit. There's 4 self-striping, 4 variegated, and 4 handspun. lots of happy skeins.
- Knit 12 Desert Vista Dyeworks socks: I'm doing her annual KAL this year. I only have 11 skeins in stash but I'm sure I can acquire one more before the year is up.
- Knit 1 square a day on my sock yarn blanket: My newest mitered square project only takes me about 25 minutes to knit + weave in the ends. It's way more likely that I can actually knit one square every day with these time constraints.
- Finish Granny Rectangle Blanket: I don't know how large I will make the blanket, and so I don't know how much further I have to go. I think it's an achievable goal though.
- Spin 8oz per month: I tried to do this last year and failed. This year I'm concentrating on spinning thicker yarns since I do not need more sock yarn (see Goal #3 above) and that should help me to spin faster.
- Knit 3 sweaters: I knit 4 sweaters in 2016, so I should be able to do it. I don't need a whole lot of new sweaters in my wardrobe but a few staple items would be really helpful. I'm planning to stick to kind-of boring everyday wear types of clothing that I will get a ton of use from.
- Make more neutral neckwear items: I will be talking about this more on the next podcast, but I've realized that I tend to only wear solid fairly neutral unfussy shawls and scarves. I could use a few more, but nothing of the crazy colors or super lacy variety, which just don't get worn. sadly, find your fade types aren't for me.
- Reduce my stash: I'll talk about this more in life goals, but I need to cut down my stash. I did a decent job last year--I knit through about 8 pounds of yarn and 2.5 pounds of fiber. I'd like to do even better this year.
- Limit crafty stash/pattern purchases to immediate cast-ons: I know better than to make a pledge not to buy anything. that's not reasonable. however, I do think it makes sense to limit myself to buying yarn for things I'm going to make right away. I have a big problem with buying quantities to make things later and then I either forget or no longer want to knit the original project and then I'm scrambling to find something to do with the yarn.
- Podcast once a month: I have a fairly small but loyal viewership. This is my little way to be a part of the community and to not be so closed off to the world.
- Publish 4 designs: I didn't publish any new patterns in 2016. *sad face* I actually worked on quite a number of designs but didn't get to the publishing stage on any of them. I think 4 designs is a reasonable amount that I should be able to do.
- Keep up with business bookkeeping: I hate doing this. I always wait until tax time (so right now, actually) to figure out what I did in the past year. not a good plan. I'd like to start keeping up with it as I go.
- Do Capsule Wardrobe challenge once a quarter: I will talk about this in more detail in future blog posts, but for now I will just say that I've been wanting to try a capsule wardrobe for awhile. I think doing one month for every season is doable.
- Cook/bake more: Spicy very kindly has been doing most of the cooking for awhile. I actually miss cooking and baking as I've found that not using those skills has made me lose them. I want to get back to making things I enjoy regularly.
- Be more frugal: Without getting into specifics, Spicy and I have some future life plans that involve us relocating and my being self-employed within the next decade. In order to do that I need to save as much as I can while I'm still working full-time. Using what I have and buying less will be incredibly helpful in both being able to save money and eventually having less stuff to move.