This month, Joey asked for Little Vines blocks. She was proactive and sent us freezer paper and the background and stem fabrics all pre-marked. I was excited to try out the tutorial because I don't have a lot of experience with turned-edge applique. It turns out that I find the process to be fairly tedious and time-consuming. Partly it was my own fault because I tried to be lazy and omit starch at first. I had to go back and re-form my leaves with starch and the second time around they were much flatter. I used Elmer's gel glue to tack down the leaves and it worked ok, but I can see why a thinner applicator would come in handy.
I did find sketch-stitch to be fun though and I love the look. I wouldn't rule out applique in the future but I'd have to be in the right mood to tackle it. Joey's block design is really fun and I think the finished quilt is going to be beautiful.