Awhile back, Jacey and I agreed to do our own 2-person KAL of the Orchid Thief Shawl. I had wanted to knit this shawl for a long time but lacked the motivation to start, so working on it together really helped to keep me on track.
I used Wollmeise Twin in Sternschnuppe and #6 knitpicks harmonies. Although the Wollmeise has 510 yards (plus it's often overweight) and the pattern calls for 440 yards, I ran out of yarn during the bind-off. Obtaining another skein of Wollmeise on the fly isn't exactly an easy proposition. Besides that I just wanted to be done with it. So I grabbed a skein of handspun silk lace from my stash and used it to finish the bind-off. The color was actually remarkably similar but the texture is quite different. So I just tell myself not to look too closely at the bind-off and all is well.
I have to say this was one of the more challenging shawl patterns i've knit. It wasn't terribly difficult skillwise, but the way the pattern is written can be a little confusing and it required me to pay attention more closely than other shawls i've knit. Poor Spicy was shooed away more than once because I couldn't talk to him and knit Orchid Thief without making mistakes.
I also found this shawl very difficult to block. I wish I had learned the string blocking trick for this one and honestly it could use a good re-blocking but I am far too lazy to do it. There are a lot of increases at the bottom for the large leaves and it's tough to find them a place to go. The shawl edging as blocked is a little floppy and ruffly.
This concludes Shawl Week. I probably won't knit any more shawls for a little while. I tell myself all the time that it's a pointless exercise since I don't wear them but I keep getting pulled back in.