Because I'm basically an 80-year old woman, I injured my hip over the weekend making it very difficult to either stand or sit for long periods of time. i spent a lot of hours watching netflix and a little time knitting, but not a great deal of time sewing or quilting.
Finished this week
- 4 more boxes: Spicy asked me to make him more fabric boxes. i'm getting really sick of them. hopefully these are the last ones for awhile.
- Jessica's top: I was able to assemble most of Jessica's wonky bee quilt top. it's hard to believe that the 3rd round of the bee is nearly over!
- Patchwork Please potholders: I got the book from the library and love so many of the projects. i had to try out a few for myself, so i made a couple of potholders from the pepper coasters pattern and the apple bib. my potholders use a layer of insulbrite and a layer of wool batting. i'm in love with both of these and they are an awesome addition to my kitchen decor.
- Sewing Room Swap Pincushion: I got started on my partner's package by making her small item first. it appears that she loves scrappy as much as i do, so i went with tiny flying geese and used the technique from Patchwork Please to construct the pincushion. i really like the way it was put together--straightforward and easy to follow. i used a scrap of linen for the bottom and skipped the button. this cushion is filled with crushed walnut shells.
- Nicole's hat and mittens: i finished them up and they just need to be washed and blocked. i'm undecided on adding a pompom to the hat.
- Shorts Failure: i wanted some sleep shorts for summer so i used the self-drafted pattern from one yard wonders. i would NOT recommend this pattern at all--i think it's too simplistic to fit a human body with all of its quirks. i made one pair, modified the pattern, and made another, and the fit is still really off. i don't have enough fitting knowledge to fix it, so i think i'd rather buy a different pattern for next time--like the new grainline perhaps. naturally after wasting 1.5yds of fabric on these shorts i found 3 pairs of shorts in my dresser that i thought i had given away. so maybe i don't need new shorts after all.
In progress this week
- Leaders/enders project: I didn't have a whole lot of opportunity to work on this, but i've done a decent amount of cutting and a little stitching.
- Moda Bake Shop Project: i'm working on the quilting. or i was before the hip incident.
- Xmas quilt
- superwash merino handspun
- sampler quilt
- granny squares qayg
- log cabin qayg
- scrappy trips
- wonky bee #1 quilt
- herringbone quilt
- yo yo pillow
- hexagon mini
- polaroid blocks
- embroidery mandalas
- cross stitch family
- triangles quilt
- Nicole's Antler Cardigan: i like how the pattern starts with the sleeves. i always hate knitting sleeves on a seamless sweater, so it's great to get them finished and out of the way first. i'm actually further along than the picture shows. this one should be a finish pretty soon, though it may take me awhile to find the right buttons.
- Indigo dye prep: i bought an indigo dyeing kit from dharma and i'm hoping to dye some greens, so i used the cold water method and dyed a bunch of cotton with onion skins.
FYI: I'm rounding to the nearest 1/8th of a yard to keep the math simplified. i only count yards used per week from finished projects. Scraps don't count, because...well, they're scraps.
Used this week: 3.625 yds
Yards acquired: 20. i got another package from hawthorne, mostly Amy Butler Belle. i also got some flannel to back my xmas quilt, and i won 3 yards of fat eighths from pink castle fabrics.
+/-: -65.5 yds