Friday, July 12, 2013

Tooth & Claw

Last winter, I fell in love with the Timber & Leaf collection. True to form I didn't buy the entire line, but I purchased several prints that I couldn't live without.

I remembered that for the second round of the wonky bee, Amanda had asked for oversized bearpaw blocks. Amanda's quilt inspired me to do something along those lines with my Timber & Leaf prints.

Tooth & Claw lap quilt

I filled out my fabrics with a few more coordinating blenders from my stash. There's some Echo (which pairs quite nicely with Timber & Leaf), some Joel Dewberry, some Sketch prints, some Quilt Blocks, a little Sherbet Pips, Madrona Road, and others from the Stash Stack Club. My bearpaw blocks are a whopping 28". One of the reasons I went so big was to have as few HSTs to trim as possible. I'm not a big fan of trimming. I auditioned several sashing colors but fell in love with this essex yarn-dyed linen in black.

Tooth & Claw lap quilt

I bought a large piece of the blue deer fabric for the backing. It's my favorite print in the collection and I'm happy to say I still have a yard left to use on another project. I filled out the sides with cotton couture in a medium grey. The binding is the black madrona road text print, cut on the bias and handstitched to the backing.

Tooth & Claw lap quilt

I set aside this quilt top for many long months because I knew that I wanted to use the simplicity of the blocks to highlight some dense free-motion quilting. I also wanted to adhere to the nature theme in the quilting, and at the time I didn't feel my skills were up to the task. finally, i decided to just go for it. The blocks are quilted using 50-wt Aurifil in a light grey. I started with scalloped petals that circle the center of the blocks. The centers are pebble quilted and the claws are filled with dense wavy zigzag lines. The sashings are quilted with various feathers and there's an echo flower in the very center of the quilt. i was nervous to try feathers on a big project because i've only attempted them a few times before to sad results. they aren't perfect and it took FOREVER to quilt, but i am happy with how they turned out. Because of the heavy quilting and the linen content, there was a ton of shrinkage. the final quilt is 59" square. I used quilter's dream select for the batting and the finished quilt is quite textured, heavy, and warm. I'm picturing it in a modern log cabin during wintertime, draped over a sofa next to the fire and near a bearskin rug. This quilt is in the shop.

6 comments:

  1. I love this block enlarged (I made a mini with just one bear claw block a few years ago) and the quilting looks great. Love your feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE everything about this quilt! great job on the FMQ, it really adds a lot to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! It does look like it belongs in a log cabin! A very luxe, modern log cabin that is. What a perfect way to show off that fabric.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...