I got a custom order for an embroidered pillow cover reminiscent of this one. The client wanted to use yellows, blues, and purples. I dug out my Anna Maria Horner floss that I won ages ago. I knew that yellow wouldn't show up very well, so I substituted green for the embroidery. the background is white cotton couture, which is a very nice base for embroidery.
Next, I picked out a fabric for the backing that coordinated with the embroidery colors. This field study fabric was a perfect match (no surprise there). I pulled coordinating scraps for the patchwork on the front. The cover is 16" square.
I tried out matchstick quilting on the patchwork with white 50-wt aurifil thread. these narrow strips were fairly quick to quilt. I can imagine that this technique would be pretty time-consuming on a larger area though.
The cover has been shipped out to the recipient. This was a fun one!