First, I pieced the landscape together using her fabrics and a couple from my stash using improv curves. There are a lot of tutorials out there, but I found this one especially helpful.
Next, I drew the pictures on freehand with a water soluable marker and embroidered them with 2 strands of floss using various colors from my stash. My drawing skills aren't the greatest but i tried to match the illustrations in the book the best that i could. I sprayed the piece with water to erase the lines and let it air-dry, then I ironed it thoroughly but there are some bits that are still wrinkly. hopefully it'll look ok when the quilt is completed.
Finally I pieced the blocks together since Nicke requested that we add to the top as it travels. I added the large green solid piece at the bottom to give the eyes a place to rest, plus I figured Nicke could continue the embroidery or fill in the blank space if she chose later on. I think this is going to be one gorgeously vibrant quilt. using the book for inspiration was very, well--inspired! it was a lot of fun.