My first do. good stitches quilt is nearly finished. I'm just waiting for something to arrive in the mail so I can finish the label and stitch it on. The ladies of the HAVEN circle did a beautiful job. Special thanks to oh fransson and kelbysews for enabling us to use their patterns.
I had quite a few word blocks in varying sizes and several 12" square blocks so I decided the best way to put them together was to improv piece them into rows with scraps from my stash as filler. I used mostly low volume fabrics but I threw in a few darks for variation. I knew I was making a twin-sized bed quilt and I wanted it to be non-directional so I positioned the words randomly. well...for the most part. all of my sideways words face out the same direction but that was an accident. The quilt measures around 68" x 88".
I used a henry glass 108" wide dot fabric for the backing. It was nice not to have to do a pieced back. I tried to spray baste but I think my basting spray outlived its prime because it didn't stick well at all and I ended up having to go back and pin baste because I was getting tucks on the backing. I quilted organic horizontal straight-ish lines around 1 inch apart to keep it simple and to let the top shine. The quilt is hand-bound with bias binding. I used madrona road words (third from the top in this stack), which was the perfect fabric for the binding.
I'm very proud of this quilt and my wish is that it brings comfort, peace, and hope to whoever uses it. It will be sent on to Alternatives for Battered Women Rochester as soon as I finish the label.