I made a second 16" pillow meant to coordinate with the scrappy squares pillow. i dug out some larger sized scraps from my scrap drawer and used my big shot to cut out 4" drunkard's path blocks. i didn't really try to match background to quarter circles in any way--i went with a haphazard selection.
i put them together in a sort-of snakey arrangement. i used white aurifil thread and did pebble quilting on just the negative space. FMQ with aurifil went very smoothly and i did not have any of the shredding/breaking problems that i'd had with poly thread, even though Aurifil is thinner than i'm used to.
the backing is a moda fabric i got from a quilt shop in Maine. i made a simple envelope back with some connecting threads solid used as straight grain binding for the edges. as aforementioned, i think i prefer zippered closures but this was quicker to finish.