My niece's first birthday came and went. i was a little late sending her gift so i didn't get any pictures of the clothes that i made for her.
i finished up the free motion quilting experiment that i'd been working on. i used this tutorial on joining the blocks. it was fairly easy and quick to do. i used kona black for the joining strips on both front and back. i love how the jewel tones combined with black kind of have a stained glass effect.
the back uses white, gray, and black fabrics. i wanted a nice contrast with the bright colors of the front. the quilting uses various shades of gray thread. one thing to remember is that the blocks should be trimmed exactly to the size you want. i wasn't thinking and i left an extra half inch like you normally would for seaming. so the quilt ended up slightly bigger than i'd originally intended. it doesn't really matter on this one but it might on a block with more seaming. i forget the exact size but it's something like 46 x 54.
i had a lot of fun trying different stitches. i definitely had an easier time with certain types of stitching over others. i'm purposely not showing my feathers because they look awful. this loopy flower was fun and easy to do.
i had a harder time doing spirals but it got easier by the end.
i even snuck in some writing. i went back to the one step binding method using my new clover bias tape maker. it's quicker to finish but i still like the look of a traditional hand-stitched binding more. i'm really pleased with this quilt and i hope that it makes a decently sized playmat for Nicole.