Tuesday, June 12, 2012
My previous experiment had me itching to create a kitschy crochet potholder that would be functional as well as cute. Even though many patterns call for a double thickness, i found that it wasn't enough to keep the heat off my hands. I've made quilted potholders in the past with a layer of insulbrite and a layer of cotton batting, but those too are a little thinner than i'd like.
Hence, the Mixed Media Potholders were born. I used Dishie yarn and a G hook. My first experiment sandwiched insulbrite between 2 crochet potholders (the one in the middle). all went well until i washed it and the padding wadded up. i had to rip it open and stitch the batting to the back and then reassemble it. since the back was white the thread didn't really show, but i don't like the idea of having machine stitching visible on the crochet fabric.
my second iteration included making a quilted potholder with a pretty backing and a plain white front. the insulbrite is firmly secured to the back with machine quilting stitches. i eventually figured out it was prudent to baste the crochet potholder to the quilted one on the outside edges and then to bind the whole thing together. it's also better to make the crochet potholder slightly smaller than the quilted one and block it to fit. the binding is handstitched to the back.
it's a fairly time-consuming process but i am really happy with the results. i'm keeping a few, giving a few away, and thinking about putting up a few for sale at Spicy's farm stand when he is ready to start selling his fruits and veggies.
the selvedge backs were QAYG directly onto the batting. playing around with the various stitches on my machine led me to discover a new favorite, the scallop. you can see a closer picture of it in action here.