Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the potholder makeover

Flower potholder
since i determined that the cotton crochet potholder did not do a sufficient job, i prepared to add a backing. i ran it through the washer/dryer and it did shrink about an inch in width. unfortunately the yarns i used don't hold up that well to washing and it already looks a bit ragged.
Flower potholder
i cut  9" squares of insulbright and quilting cotton and quilted wavy lines with some guttermann thread. then i cut out a circle, put a white cotton circle on top and stitched a quarter inch around leaving an opening. then i turned it rightside out and topstitched. finally i stitched the quilted circle to the potholder.

i'm very happy with the outcome. it looks great in our kitchen and works quite well now. i like that it still has that old-fashioned kitschy look i was going for. i'm not quite done with my potholder experiments, so there will be more to come.

2 comments:

  1. very cute sara!  i love the colors... hhhmmm... ideas.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it worked out! It looks really awesome, and the fact that your quilted piece makes it more functional is even better!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...