a few months ago, Spicy and I got a couch at the thrift store for $30. it's larger than our old one and more comfortable but it had the most heinous cushions that were the worst of both worlds--both ugly and scratchy.
i bought some organic cotton duck which ended up costing more than the couch. i prewashed all 6 yards and had it ready to go. then it sat for a couple of months because nothing is more boring than making couch covers.
finally a couple of weekends ago i decided to tackle the task. i consulted this tutorial but pretty much ended up doing it my own way in the end. i made 4 covers but was temporarily put off by one of the zippers breaking (D'oh!). i ended up slipstitching it closed b/c i didn't want to rip out the old zip and put in a new one. so one of the back cushion covers is less than conveniently removable. oh well.
last weekend i sucked it up and made the final 2. i can't believe how much better the couch (and by extension, the living room) looks now. i'm also happy with how well the blue works with the grey walls. it looks great with a variety of quilts as well. hopefully i won't get tired of it any time soon.
now if i could just break down and re-cover my poang chair. maybe i'll find the motivation before the year is up.