Thursday, April 12, 2012
i bought my ironing board from target about 9 years ago. it was looking really nasty and the cheap foam pad was worn down to the metal so i finally made a replacement cover. i used this tutorial and recycled the cording that came with my original cover. the fabrics i used are kumari garden, ruby star rising, kona solid (i forget which color) and riley blake chevron.
because i am super lazy sometimes i stupidly did not measure beforehand. my ironing board is apparently considerably longer than the one in the tutorial. i solved this by throwing in an additional fabric (the kumari garden). i don't mind the effect, really, but it was dumb to plunge ahead without measuring first. i found that there was a lot of fabric waste as well, so my pieces probably didn't need to be as wide as the tutorial demands either.
i replaced the old foam pad with insulbright by using the old pad as a template. i stitched on some elastic at each end and slid it on the board. i was tired by the end of all this so i didn't pull the cording as tightly as i could have. i should really go back and fix it. it's a little looser than i'd prefer.
i'm thrilled to have such a cheery ironing board now. it's silly how much a little thing makes a difference. ironing will never be one of my favorite activities but at least i can derive some happiness from drinking in some of my favorite fabrics every time i whip out the iron.