Jacey asked for polaroid blocks for her month in the Wonky Bee. there's a paper-piecing tutorial here but i wanted to use slightly larger squares for the pictures so i made mine improv style. after putting together the final blocks i wish i had made the white portion slightly more narrow but i hope it's ok.
this one uses kona coal as a background. i had more fun than expected picking out fabrics for the photos and fussy cutting them. i ended up with a huge stack of fabrics and i really had to narrow it down.
on this one, i decided to go really wonky. i used medium gray for the background and the "upside-down" polaroid uses a handdyed solid black. it doesn't show up in the pic but there is some nice color variation that looks fairly authentic. i improvised the stacking so this probably wasn't the most efficient way to do it. hopefully with the seam allowance the white strip at the top will look like another picture is extending off of the block.
i really had a lot of fun making these and i would love to have my own polaroid mini quilt someday.