I started this quilt in June after being inspired by the quiltalong. Things started really well and I rapidly finished about half of the blocks. then i hit a bump in the road because i lack scraps in certain colors, but Jacey came to my rescue. i finally finished up all the blocks and stitched together the top but I got stuck on ideas for the back. This quilt was supposed to be a summer project, and now it's nearly winter. but hey, done is done.
My quilt is 79x63. i used all scrap fabrics for the ticker tape and attached them with blanket stitch. i was very pleased by how well the stitches held up through the wash. i subbed a few colors and arranged the blocks how i wanted them. i also used all leftover batting scraps.
i had purchased the navy dotty fabric and the rainbow stripe for the binding while i was on vacation over the summer. for some reason i had the hardest time finding a companion fabric for the backing. white was the only thing that seemed to work. in retrospect it wasn't the wisest choice because the colors in the seams show through, but i couldn't find a more appealing option.
i originally had all kinds of ideas on quilting, i was going to do free motion around the blocks or i was going to hand-quilt them. but when it came down to it, i just wanted it to be finished. i outlined the white interior of each block. i had forgotten how large the quilt was so this was a more difficult choice than i thought it was going to be. but again, better done than sitting in a lonely pile on a chair, mocking me. if i ever try QAYG again, i will do one of the methods where you attach the backing on each block. making a large backing at the end still requires basting and quilting, so to me it kind of detracts from the point of quilt as you go.
i machine stitched the binding. there was no way that i was going to handstitch it, especially after handsewing the backwards quilt the night before. now it's on my bed giving us a welcome dose of color to combat the coming doldrums.