My second hexagon experiment was with hand piecing. I used the 1" templates from Texas Freckles and followed The Sometimes Crafter's tutorial. I cut 2.5" squares for my hexies and whipstitched with light grey gutermann thread. i found that basting the hexies was fun and relaxing while actually stitching them...not so much. my whipstitches were between 30-40 stitches per inch, so that may have had something to do with how tedious it was. next time i'll see if i can get away with less. i actually found hand-piecing ok when compared with machine piecing. i doubt i'd do an entire charm quilt, but a few little things here and there would be fun.
For the pillow, i ironed on a bit of steam a seam to the back of my flower and pressed it to a solid piece of Kona Chocolate. i handquilted around the flower and in lines 1" apart with embroidery floss, because i don't have any perle cotton on hand. i didn't use a hoop but probably should have. about halfway through, one of my lovely cats decided to throw up on my pillow and then scratch a nick in the fabric with her claws. the cat lived, but barely.
The backing is AH Heath with a contrasting zip--my favorite pillow closure. it fits a 14" pillow form. this one will live in my bedroom with the pillowcases i made for our bed that i never got around to showing off.
this is definitely as Fall as i get, so i'm submitting this to Celebrate Color.