This month's wonky bee blocks for Carrie were xmas related words. i've never tried words before, but i was looking forward to the challenge.
i found that it was easier to use small scale non-directional prints. it was unfortunate because Carrie sent a bunch of fabric with cute characters. i couldn't resist fussy cutting a Santa to add to that block. i am particularly proud of the diagonal line on the "N."
i looked at several tutorials but in the end i just winged it one letter at a time. i found that the process isn't all that different from the wonky houses and trees--you're just working with narrower pieces.
the first word turned out fine sizewise, but the second ended up being much larger than called for. whoops. i think i made the letters from slightly wider strips, plus the extra letter really took up more space. if i had stuck with the narrower pieces i probably would've been fine.
this isn't really my style so i can't see myself making a word quilt of my own. but it does look pretty cool and i'm glad i tried it.