i've wanted to make a string quilt since i saw the tutorial at filminthefridge. i like using scraps and i wanted to start with a mini-quilt on the new machine.
this is how i learned that the quarter-inch foot is a bit off. when i sewed the longest seams in the center, the top fabric would veer to the left. fortunately with this particular block style, it doesn't matter too much. i used scraps from 1-2.5 inches wide, and my blocks were 6.5 inches. the quilt is 24" square. i used white cotton for the centers but varied the widths, which i think saved me from going nuts trying to match up the corners perfectly. the blocks are also not quite aligned as i originally intended. i have since learned to number the blocks so i can remember to sew them in the right order--a no-brainer, perhaps, but we can't all be S-M-R-T the first time.
it's not perfect by any means. i still have a lot to learn. i should really be better about squaring up the blocks before sewing them together.
this was my first time trying stippling, and it actually wasn't that bad. my stitches are far from perfectly even but it's much better than previous attempts on the old machine.
i'm still proud of the machine binding. i should have gotten a close-up of the lovely mitered corners.
once i figure out how to hang it, this one is going on our living room wall. i would love to make a larger version of this one someday. i adore the scrappiness and the bright colors.