I got this AE men's M shirt for $1 at the Salvation Army. I used the shirt pattern from Sew U and the sleeves from McCalls 5388. The sleeve cuffs are gathered with 1/4" elastic. i used most of the fabric from the shirt but there are a few bits left for quilting or other scrap projects.
I had an oopsie with my serger (though at the time i was muttering less cute obscenities). As I was serging one of the shoulders, part of the shirt got caught in the seam without my noticing. i had to cut a deeper neckline, which means i had to splice in some extra fabric for the collar stand. it looks a little weird and the neckline is a bit large but i don't think it turned out too badly in the end.
i had a lot of fun transforming this shirt into something new. i'm planning to do something very similar with at least 2 of the other shirts i bought, as i'm in need of more button-downs that i can wear to work.
i really love the fabric and the little red eagle on the pocket (though i'm not generally much for logos). i think it adds a nice little pop of contrast. the shirt reminds me of those green mint candies that i loved as a kid. i wish i had one right now.