i really like and had planned to make this dress from chic and simple sewing. however, one of the things about sewing that i do not enjoy is tracing a new pattern. fortunately it occurred to me that the top pattern, mccalls 5388, which i've already made a few times is very similar to the dress if i add length and patch pockets. so that's exactly what i did.
i used 3yds of cotton plaid i bought from fabric.com. i tried my best to match the plaid but it didn't work out so well. i used a white cotton batiste for the facings and bias binding.
i did 2 rows of shirring on the sleeves instead of an elastic casing. the patch pocket was from Sew U. I handsewed a 3" hem.
oh and i also got a haircut. it's about 6 inches shorter but after a week no one around here has noticed.
i am well aware that this isn't the most age-appropriate look but when it's 90 degrees outside it helps to have comfortable, non-constricting clothing to wear. i may even make another one of these before the season ends.