i've had this thai silk in my stash for years. i got it as a secret pal gift. although i thought it was really pretty, i was always too scared to cut into it.
Pattern: McCalls 5388, View D
Size: 6 (with mods)
Fabric: a bit less than a yard of thai silk
Started and Finished: June 14
i made a muslin of this pattern with some leftover floral cotton. as much as i hate making the same thing multiple times, it really does make it easier not to screw up the real thing.
i shortened the top by 3 inches. I also cut the size 6 because there are insane amounts of ease in this top. i normally would've cut a 10, so i highly recommend going down a size or two. the armholes of my muslin were a little too tight so i took smaller seams on the shoulders and the sleeves and it fits better now. i did 2 rows of shirring on the sleeves instead of using elastic. i serged wherever possible to get a clean finish. i only sort of followed directions and winged the rest.
this was a pretty easy top to sew. it wasn't until after i finished it that i realized that i have similar patterns but i do like the deep rounded neckline of this one. i would sew it again--maybe View C: the sleeveless version with ruffles. or another version with sleeves but with pleats instead of gathers, like this one i saw on pattern review.
i'm glad i finally got over my fear b/c it really wasn't that difficult to sew the silk fabric. i used a needle for lightweight wovens and it was smooth sailing. now i have a cute new top to wear to work.
i was very lucky and won a drawing at Oh, Fransson! i love her blog--her quilts are so inspirational. i won the pattern for these quilted pillows. i have some gifts to make this month so maybe i'll give one a try.