Sunday, June 14, 2009

getting my swap on

i participated in the Ravelry cowl swap. my partner krobin received her package, so i can share what i made.
Burnished Leaves Cowl
this is the burnished leaves cowl (rav). i used knitpicks 16" #3 harmony circs. i used my chain plied handspun suri alpaca.

i didn't like the look of the garter borders, so i used seed stitch. my yarn was thinner than sport, so the result is a bit smaller and more delicate. i really like the way it turned out.
3.4oz handpainted llama
less successful was my grand attempt to handpaint 3.4oz of llama fiber. i tried to use high concentrations of red and green acid dyes to paint on the dark fiber, but the result was very subtle. i hope that the color variation can be seen in the finished yarn.
dragonknitfly box bag
i also sewed another box bag from the dragonknitfly tutorial. i used moda fabric for the outside and handkerchief linen for the lining.
dragonknitfly box bag
the linen was pretty difficult to use, as it wants to stretch out of shape. but i liked the two fabrics together, so *shrug*.

i had a lot of fun putting this package together. i should find more swaps to participate in.

3 comments:

  1. I like how the cowl looks. It's hard to dye dark fiber successful. I LOVE your new bag. I think I'll give it a try soon. The outer fabric looks wonderful. What a nice swap package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I agree with the decision to seed stitch the borders instead of garter.

    If I ever cave and order 20 years worth of zippers, I'm going to have to try my hand at one of those boxes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cowl! You're killing me with these box bags. I can't wait to make some with my fun Heather Ross fabric! I'll have to make tons of practice ones first, so I don't eff up my favorite fabric!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...